A second monitor is a real asset for computer professionals, especially since most operating systems support a second screen. For those working on a small screen, a dual monitor can more than double your viewing area resulting in a new way to work that increases productivity. But that’s not the only use for a stand-alone monitor.
External monitors are extremely versatile and their uses vary depending on where they are used, from corporate office settings to family media rooms inside the home. Some might use it to replace their existing monitor or to double their workspace. Features like HDMI hookup and built-in speakers allow consumers to use LCD monitors with their gaming consoles or a Blu-Ray player.
Benefits of a Second Monitor
I think I was hooked on using my ASUS Widescreen LCD Monitor with my laptop from the first time I dragged a window into the second screen. My laptop at the time didn’t offer Windows 7, so there was no way to snap windows into a side-by-side display. Finally there was an easy way to maximize the MS Office window on the laptop screen and conveniently glance at my research notes without having to constantly alt-tab between the two. Here are some other ways that a spare LCD monitor benefitted my family.
- Editing Images – Some jobs I do require me to find and edit images. A second monitor allows me to display the tools necessary for editing photos on one the main screen while my 22” widescreen LCD monitor allows me to maximize the image, a necessity for capturing fine details.
- MS Office Tools – Whether researching for a review of a new wireless mouse or preparing a document for personal use, having a LCD widescreen monitor attached to my laptop more than doubles my screen space. The second screen makes it easier to do everything, not just word processing features. Creating spreadsheets and PowerPoint presentations with the convenience of a second monitor now take half the time.
- Streaming Videos – I always work better with some kind of background noise. While there is no cable television in my home office, with a second computer monitor I can take advantage of streaming media providers like Netflix and Hulu. When connected to your computer or laptop, widescreen LCD monitors allow you to catch up on your favorite movies or television shows without sacrificing valuable screen space.
- Multiple Browsers – Google Chrome is my browser of choice. On my laptop, its speed is simply unmatched by the competition. But Mozilla Firefox has sticky notes. Are you familiar with these? They allow you to add notes to webpages, and access them later through the toolbar. That’s incredibly handy for most jobs, but especially freelance writers. The widescreen LCD monitor attached to my laptop allows me to access Firefox without minimizing or closing out what I’m working on in Chrome.
- Social Media Updates – A lot of business professionals depend on social media as a way to promote their goods or services online. When used correctly, it’s like free advertising. Even if updates are sent in email, without having the browser open all the time it’s easy to miss something that might require a timely response. Using any of the widescreen LCD monitors on the market in conjunction with your home computer can help solve this problem.
- Video Conferencing – Second monitors are almost a requirement for hosting any kind of video conferencing event these days, especially if you plan to share a screen. With a dual monitor setup, you can share one screen and watch your video in the second one.
Before I purchased a flat panel monitor I did some heavy research. Weighing the pros and cons of each monitor was as important as finding one that fit my budget and Amazon was instrumental with help in that department. Along with information like what cables come in the box, warranty details, specifications, and reviews from others who already purchased the monitor; I learned interesting features that other brands lacked.
In addition to the obvious features – size, picture and sound quality, HDMI versus VGA inputs, or wall mounting capabilities – I learned that this model could also connect to a home theater system. ASUS Smart Contrast Ratio Technology adjusts backlight luminance while during playback for more realistic nighttime scenes. One of my favorite features is the Splendid Video Intelligence Technology, which offers five modes for a variety of scenarios including scenery, theater, gaming, night view, and standard video.
Regardless of what business you’re in, if your business is online then you should consider a second monitor. Why not check out some of the ones listed on Amazon? One of the things that helped me decide was a reviewer who wrote: “I ordered two of these Asus monitors for use with my desktop. I believe they are absolutely gorgeous monitors. I tested each for dead pixels and found none. They colors are accurate and vibrant, and the screen is plenty bright. The edges are thin and glossy, giving the monitor a nice look. The screen itself is a matte finish so there is limited to no glare.”