Office organization, is it really that important? Actually I think it is.
There are so many ways to get organized in your office. I have been my own boss for nearly 15 years now so this is something I can claim to know a thing or two about. It is just soooo important to be organized, even if its organized chaos you are working in there does need to be a sort of harmony between you and your workspace.
Here are some tips I hope you will find useful in achieving more with less (thats to say more work in less time) which is really what its all about, so that you can have more time for other stuff
Office Organization With The Right Software
1. Skype — You can video meet with anyone, anywhere in the world. International news organizations use this a lot and you can get simple versions for free. You’ll need a camera that will operate through an Internet connection.
2. Pamela — This is a software works with Skype and over 4 million people use it. Its a voice recorder that can create a messages, and be a reminder for important dates such as anniversaries.
3. SnagIt — I use a lot, you can capture screen shots and add captions. Share this with a collaborator and your presentations to clients will be superb!
4. Google Calendar — This is a free tool from the search engine folks. Grab calendar info from any computer, anywhere.
5. RoboForm — This program stores passwords and important info like usernames. You can also use your email program or address book to store this info but be very careful if you take your computer in to be repaired.
6. Google Documents — Share documents anywhere and on any computer with an Internet connection.
7. PageLeap — Display your favorite web pages on one screen so you can browse them easily.
8. Carbonite — Not what Superman eats for breakfast but a backup for your important stuff on a server that’s secure, and away from your computer.
Office Organization With The Right Furniture & Equipment
Your office desk, yes you knew I was going to bring this up! But then it is mega important. With office desks, its like anything else its horses for courses, so if all you need to do is write checks and file way receipts you will not be looking for an executive desk suite in oak. If you are wondering what sort of office desk you should be buying check out this article for some pointers.
Here are some popular desk styles and their organizational qualities:
Computer Armoires - the beauty of this type of desk is that it does not look like a desk, it takes little room and it does not look out of place in a kitchen or living room.
Computer Desks – these come small and large but their primary organizational quality is that they are designed to house your computer and peripherals
Corner Desks – you will generally be looking for this kind of desk if you are tight on space but this does not mean they are devoid of any shelving and drawers
Executive Desks – these tend to be bigger desks so they will usually have plenty of space for files, books and so on that you need to have on hand
Glass Desks – these tend to have less storage space though many models offer nifty shelving
Laptop Desks – tend to be smaller desks and so do not tend to offer much in the way of storage
Office Suites – in terms of getting organized you can’t really do much better than an office suite, with a matching desk, filing cabinet, hutch and perhaps side cabinet
Here are some other office organization furnishing tips:
1. Medium-sized and comfortable chair. You’ll get much more out of your working day if you don’t end up with a backache after a couple of hours.
2. Put a vertical file and small bulletin board on the wall that you face. The more efficient that your filing is, the less time you’ll spend trying to find something.
3. Use a chair mat if you have light-colored laminate or bamboo flooring. Wheels from a chair will form a light-colored semi-circle on it if you don’t use a chair mat.
4. Purchase an all-in-one printer/scanner/fax ,machine that’s wireless. Few wires means more efficiency because you aren’t having to duck under them during your busy work day.
1. Eat healthy snacks. Take meal breaks as well. If you eat healthy and don’t make yourself overly full, then you will be able to get the most from your working day.
2. Keep a bottle of water handy all day. Being hydrated makes you feel less sleepy, and always drink some water around thirty minutes after you get up, even if you have coffee.
3. Stretch and take a walk and a few deep breaths, outside if you can, and your energy will last longer.
Office Organization Means More Time For Your Family
I’ve applied all of these tips into my home office over the years, there are definite benefits to be had in being more organized. Of course its never ending process and something that you can always improve on. I love doing business in my office, and making a good life for myself and my family. Good office organization enables me to do this that bit easier.